Renegade Miata Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local sign makers for meatballs?

4 posters

Go down

Local sign makers for meatballs? Empty Local sign makers for meatballs?

Post  moerdogg Fri May 21, 2010 1:13 pm

I want to get plain white 16" magnetic meatballs made for the Miata. Is there someone who has a relationship with the club that could help? Anyone know where I can get a good price? I called one place an they wanted $115 for the pair, which sounded kind of high.
moerdogg
moerdogg

Back to top Go down

Local sign makers for meatballs? Empty Re: Local sign makers for meatballs?

Post  Joe Fri May 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Hobby shop should have the magnetic sheet material for short money or a hardware store might have some...
The sheet material is easy to cut with a razor knife or hvy duty scissors....
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  red61 Fri May 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Be careful with the hobby store magnetic sheets. They're pretty thin an mine flew off at a track event. Might be fine for autocross speed.

For something like $3-4, I found thicker magnetic "For Sale" signs at Ocean State Job Lot, spray painted them white and put stick-on vinyl numbers on them. They're rectangular, not round, but I guess you could cut the magnetic material into a circle if you want.
red61
red61

http://renegdademiata.net

Back to top Go down

Post  moerdogg Sun May 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I went by a few stores, and found some white 8.5x11 magnetic sheets at Joann fabrics. Not big enough for meatballs, but the white stands out against the blue enough that I just cut numbers from that.

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) sells magnetic sheets by the foot, and for pretty reasonable prices. I'll probably order from there at some point.
moerdogg
moerdogg

Back to top Go down

Post  KoneCrusher Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I buy magnetic sheet at Home Depot, it's used to block off unused air conditioning & heating ducts, pretty cheap. Spray paint them any color, go easy on the paint or the edges curl and then they fly off (ask me how I know!).
KoneCrusher
KoneCrusher

Back to top Go down

Post  moerdogg Mon May 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Where can I find it (in Home Depot)? I asked when I was there and I got blank stares and directions to the aisle with fridge magnets.
moerdogg
moerdogg

Back to top Go down

Post  KoneCrusher Mon May 24, 2010 9:39 pm

It was in the plumbing section, where they sell sheet metal ducting. They're called "magnetic vent cover", size is 8"x15", comes in 3 sheets per pack, comes in white only. I've bought them a few times, once they were pretty thick, other was thinner which seemed to work better. I print the number in MS Word on a piece of paper, then tape it onto the sheet as a template and use scissors to cut it out.

I need new numbers for this weekend, will try cutting the numbers out with a razor and using the reverse sheet. We'll see how that works.
KoneCrusher
KoneCrusher

Back to top Go down

Post  moerdogg Fri May 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks, that suggestion was great! Ready to race tomorrow Local sign makers for meatballs? 14599
moerdogg
moerdogg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum