Renegade Miata Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB Megasquirt NB

2 posters

Go down

WTB Megasquirt NB Empty WTB Megasquirt NB

Post  edboc Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am

I'm looking for a Megasquirt or other engine management system for a '99.

edboc

Back to top Go down

WTB Megasquirt NB Empty Re: WTB Megasquirt NB

Post  mike.s Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Ed, since I've just put an MS into my '2000, I can give some advise.

DYI Electronics just (like a week ago) came out for plug and play MS for our cars. Mine came from a group but from a gentlemen in Greece and was actually less expensive. There's also a guy in the States that makes them although he's extremely busy. So those are three choices for PNP. And I would _definitely_ go with PNP rather than making and testing your own (and I say this as a former EE).

Finally, the best site to discuss anything MS related is here: http://www.miataturbo.net/megasquirt-18/ They also have forums for other standalones. My thought is that MS is probably the best box for the money today. However, find out who's going to be tuning it and talk to them - they will usually specialize in one particular ECU. And their knowledge is worth more than anything else in this whole process as I've found out.

mike.s

Back to top Go down

Post  edboc Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks for the info, is there anything I should be aware of with regards to the MS PNP to pass Mass. emissions testing?

edboc

Back to top Go down

Post  mike.s Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Ed, sorry, I almost spit my tea out as I was reading this Smile

MS or any other standalone takes away your ECU and have absolutely no OBD2 output. So there is no way to pass MA inspection. You might try to figure out if there is any piggy-back ECUs that would retain your OEM one and read OBD2 codes from there. MS makes something like that but not for '99-00 cars AFAIK.

The two possible solutions are:

1. Temporary reversible install. There are nuances. If you decide to do it I can give you more detail info but some things are not trivial.
2. Your last year of OBD2 reading for MA inspection is 2013. Unless they change the rules again. After that you would not care much about OBD2 reading part of MA inspection, only safety part. I would wait until after your next inspection.

mike.s

Back to top Go down

Post  edboc Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:20 pm

That's what I'm planning on doing, getting an inspection done in January '13, and then getting the MS. Smile
Thanks again.

edboc

Back to top Go down

Post  mike.s Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 pm

No problem. Hit me for more info when you are ready to install and if you need the shop that did my tuning (I was very impressed by them).

mike.s

Back to top Go down

Post  edboc Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 pm

Where'd you go? I was planning on going to Dent Sport in Norwood.

edboc

Back to top Go down

Post  mike.s Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:08 am

Yep, Dent. Really good guys and Matt understands MS very well. Tell 'em Mike with red Miata sent you.

mike.s

Back to top Go down

Post  edboc Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Are there any Piggyback systems that are recommended that would pass inspection?
I'm also planning on getting a used turbo off of a MSM.

edboc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down