Renegade Miata Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just bought first Miata

4 posters

Go down

Just bought first Miata Empty Just bought first Miata

Post  pardsbane Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Hello,

I just bought my first Miata, a dark blue '96 with 160k miles. My plan is to keep it street legal but set it up for HDPE track days with COM and BMWCCA, etc. I'll probably autocross it a bit. I haven't even gotten it registered yet, but the first mods I'll make are a rollbar and some sportier tires.

Before I start modifying the car though, I figure I should give it a once over to make sure everything is in order.

Since it has so many miles, I'm thinking flushing all the fluids (oil, coolant, transmission, and diff) would be a good idea, and maybe bringing it to a shop for a more detailed inspection.

What else should I look over? How often should the timing belt be changed? I wonder if I should just do that anyway, since the car didn't come with any records.
pardsbane
pardsbane

Back to top Go down

Just bought first Miata Empty Re: Just bought first Miata

Post  Bruiser Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Since you don't know when things were done I would do the timing belt, check the hoses and change all fluids. Check the sway bar bushings and make sure thsy are well greased or the brackets may fail. I would also check the shocks and springs. Good luck with the car they run forever if properly cared for. Hope to see you at some of the events.

Rob

Bruiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Meierznutz Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Welcome aboard. You are gonna love your new car. Glad you are looking to keep her in shape. The 1.6/1.8 gets a timing belt and tensioner set every 60k miles or you risk smashing valves. I would look into synthetic fluids anless there is an oil leak. Synths seam to pour out if there is any lind of leak.
As for bars, I love my Boss Frog clearview but if you want to auto x then you may need to go with their double hoop to clear the helmet. That or you need to do a "foam-ect-tomy" to get the seat bottom lower.
Enjoy the ride...
Chris

Meierznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  BobD Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Pretty sure Miatas are non-interference engines, so no valve mashing.Drive and enjoy.

BobD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down